ANNOUNCEMENTS THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2017
1. College or military visits this year:
Navy Representative Thursday, 9/21 (lunches)
Wabash College Representative Friday, 9/22 (engage)
Purdue University Representative Monday, 9/25 (engage)
Southern Illinois University Representative Monday, 9/25 (engage)
Air Force Representative Tuesday, 9/26 (lunches)
Ivy Tech Representative Friday, 9/29 (engage & lunch)
Vincennes University Rep Friday, 9/29 (engage)
Army Representative Tuesday, 10/3 (lunches)
Hanover College Representative Monday, 10/9 (engage)
Manchester University Representative Monday, 10/23 (engage and lunches)
IUPUI College Representative Monday, 10/30 (engage)
Calvin College Representative Monday, 10/30 (engage)
Air Force Representative Tuesday, 10/31 (lunches)
Army Representative Tuesday, 11/7 (lunches)
Army Representative Tuesday, 11/21 (lunches)
Air Force Representative Tuesday, 11/28 (lunches)
Army Representative Tuesday, 12/5 (lunches)
Army Representative Tuesday, 12/19 (lunches)
Air Force Representative Tuesday, 12/19 (lunches)
2. Upcoming club meetings:
NHS Meeting Friday, 9/22 (engage) Cafeteria
Boys & Girls Swim Call-out Friday, 9/22 (engage) - Cafeteria
Junior Meeting Monday, 9/25 (engage) Auditorium
Sophomores PSAT Meeting, 9/28 (3rd period & engage) - Auditorium
Prom Committee Call-out Friday, 9/29 (engage) Room 105
PEP Club Meeting Friday, 9/29 (engage) - Auditorium
NAC Meeting every Friday choir room
Key Club Meeting every Friday auditorium or cafeteria
3. Afternoon Area 30 students need to remain in the cafeteria upon your return to NPHS. If you are caught going down the hallways, you will receive a detention.
4. Backpacks are NOT to be worn/carried during the school day. They are to remain in your lockers. If Mr. Yowell sees a backpack during the day, you will receive an automatic detention.
5. The Putnam County College Fair will be held Monday, 9/25, from 6:30-8:00 p.m. at the Putnam County Fairgrounds.
6. PSAT is Wednesday, October 11.
7. Senior Night will be September 22nd.
8. The NPHS Fall choir concert will be October 11 at 6:00 p.m.
9. Any National Honor Society member who could tutor on Mondays and Fridays during Engage, please see Mrs. Alspaugh to sign up.
10. A list of colleges waiving application fees during College Go Month (September), College Go Week (September 25-29) or College Application Day (September 29) can be found here: http://www.learnmoreindiana.org/educators/k-12-counselors-and-teachers/classroom-materials/college-application-fees-and-waivers/
11. Morning Area 30 students when you return to the HS, you must return to the cafeteria or Media Center. The gym is not an option.
12. See You at the Pole will be held at 7:00 a.m. on Wednesday, 9/27. Everyone is welcome.
13. FCCLA Fall Leadership Rally is Wednesday, 9/27, at Ivy Tech in Indianapolis. Pick up permission forms from Ms. Scotland in Room 121.
14. FCCLA Membership dues are $25 for the 2017-2018 year. Please drop off your dues to Ms. Scotland in Room 121.
15. If you saw the 2016 Cougar Showcase Yearbook and would like one, but did not order, there is a limited number left. Bring $55 to Mrs. Fields in Room 203 to get your copy before they run out!
16. Any senior boy or girl who would like to apply for the DAR Good Citizen Award, please see Mrs. Neild in Room 101 to pick up a writing prompt.
17. The NP Boys Basketball Program will be hosting the 2nd annual Trivia Night on Saturday, October 28th at 7:00 p.m. in the MS commons. Dinner will be available for purchase starting at 6:30 p.m. Teams should consist of 4-6 people. Cost is $100 per team. There will be cash prizes for the top 3. There will be raffles going throughout the evening along with a 50/50 drawing. Raffle prizes include Purdue football and basketball tickets and concert tickets provided by Live Nation.
18. As of September 15, students have read 216 books while staff have read 21 books. To check out a book and contribute towards the goal of 1500 books read, see Coach Gray in the Media Center.
19. The North Putnam FFA chapter is hosting the 2nd annual pumpkin decorating contest. We encourage classrooms, SPARK classes, ENGAGE classes, organizations, clubs, teacher groups, athletic teams, and anyone else in our corporation to participate. Here are the nuts and bolts:
Your club/classroom decorates a pumpkin. The pumpkins will be picked up by FFA on Friday OR you can deliver them to the high school (let us know what you prefer). The pumpkins will be put on display at the football game Friday night. There will be donation jars in front of each pumpkin. People will be able to come and vote for their favorite pumpkins with coins and dollars. At the end of halftime, all donation jars will be counted. We will have the following prizes:
A trophy for the club/class/organization IN EACH SCHOOL BUILDING with the highest amount collected. These will be the champions of the building. These champions will receive candy for each of their members along with a trophy to display.
The champions of each school will then go against each other for title of Grand Champion. The grand champion pumpkin will receive a pizza party paid for by the FFA.
All dollars raised will go towards payment for cancer treatment.
I hope everyone will participate in this activity for a great cause! HIGH SCHOOL: My ENGAGE class is going to do one. I will personally purchase ice cream for any other ENGAGE class who beats mine : )
20. The Cougar Store sells school supplies, apparel and trinkets. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Gray in the Media Center at 522-6282, Extension 313.
21. All 2018 yearbook orders that need to be sent in by Mrs. Fields, need to be returned to school BEFORE the end of the day TODAY, Thursday, 9/21. No orders will be mailed after that date. See Mrs. Fields in Room 203 with any questions, or to drop off an order form.
SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES CHECK IN GUIDANCE OFFICE
Putnam County Lilly Endowment Scholarship- four year, full tuition scholarship to Indiana students pursuing a bachelor's degree at an Indiana public or private college/university. Students must have a 3.8 GPA, 1120 SAT or 25 ACT. The application is open online now at www.pcfoundation.org. Applications are due on Wednesday, September 6th.
Horatio Alger Scholarships- range between $6,000 and $25,000. For Seniors committed to pursuing a bachelor's degree, demonstrating financial need (gross income $55,000 or less), involved in community service, display integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity, and hold a minimum 2.0 GPA. Apply online at scholars.horatioalger.org Due October 25th.
Wendy's High School Heisman Scholarship- Winning the Wendys High School Heisman Scholarship requires a GPA of 3.0 or better, participation in at least one school-sponsored sport, and demonstrated leadership at school and in the community. Apply at wendysheisman.com Due October 2nd.
Prudential Spirit of Community Awards- for high school students who make a difference through volunteering. Possible $1,000 scholarship and trip to Washington, D.C. This is a national scholarship. Apply online at spirit.prudential.com Due November 7th.
Louie's Tux Shop Scholarship- students 16 years and older may sign up for a chance to model in a prom photo shoot for Louie's Tux Shop. Two models will be selected to win a $1,000 college scholarship. Information on how to apply may be found at www.louiesprom.com Entries may be submitted through October 15th.
The Next Generation Teacher Scholarship was created to help the next generation of Hoosier teachers pay for college. The State of Indiana will provide 200 scholarships each year to high-achieving high school and college students interested in pursuing a career in education. The scholarship pays $7,500 per year for up to four years to students who commit to teaching in Indiana for five years after graduation. Go to http://in.gov/che/4680.htm to apply. Due November 30th, 2017
The Elks National Foundation Scholarships - The Elks National Foundation offers "Most Valuable Student" scholarships for all high school seniors, as well as Legacy scholarships for high school seniors that are children and grandchildren of Elks. The deadline to apply for the Most Valuable Student scholarship is November 27th, 2017. The deadline to apply for Legacy scholarships is February 2nd, 2018. http://www.elks.org/scholars/