ANNOUNCEMENTS – THURSDAY, MAY 17, 2018
1. College or military visits this year:
2. Upcoming club meetings:
3. Upcoming SAT dates:
*Register at www.collegeboard.org
Upcoming ACT test dates:
June 9th; July 14th
*Register at actstudent.org
4. Do you want to earn an associate degree in less than a year? Applications for the 2018 ASAP in Greencastle are still being accepted. Visit www.ivytech.edu/ASAP to complete your application.
5. A number of NPHS students have their artwork on display at DePauw University’s Richard E. Peeler Art Center. Twenty-four of our students have been selected to have their portrait art showcased with their new exhibition. The students’ work will remain on view through July 15th. The galleries are open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday from 1-5 p.m.
6. Hendricks Power Cooperative is looking for a HS senior interested in Electrical Engineering to intern for the summer. Can be a resident of either Hendricks or Putnam County. See either Mrs. Alspaugh in Guidance or the main office to pick up an application.
7. Gavilon Grain locations in Roachdale, Haw Creek, and Whitesville are all seeking seniors who may be looking for a job after high school. Employment would be temporary at first, but have the potential for full time employment in the fall with benefits. The job includes outside general labor, loading rail cars, working on locomotive engine, grain elevators, etc and most likely would include overtime hours. Please contact Hudson Badskey if interested at 765-323-7000. Great opportunity!
8. Endeavor Communications provides an apprenticeship program called “Speed Geeks” that trains HS students in computer technology and telecommunications. Students meet monthly at the Cloverdale headquarters and provide help desk sessions for the community. Any student who is interested in this technology training, please come to the guidance office for an application. Applications are due May 30th.
9. The Putnam County Kids Count Character Camp is June 11th to June 15th. If you are interested in being a camp counselor, applications are available in the main office.
10. The spring 2018 final exam schedule is as follows:
Friday, 5/18 – Final Assessment for period 4
Monday, 5/21 – Final Assessment for period 2, 6 & 7
11. During the fall semester of the 2018-2019 school year, all NPHS sophomores will be taking the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT). The test will be optional for juniors next year. If you will be a junior next year and you wish to take this test, please notify Mr. Winger. There is a signup sheet for this in guidance for current sophomores. This is a great way to prepare for the SAT and qualifying juniors may also be eligible to win a scholarship based upon their performance.
12. Juniors who live at Heritage lake, please stop by the guidance office to pick up instructions for the Heritage Lake Scholarship so that you can be a candidate for this scholarship your senior year.
13. The FFA Greenhouse is OFFICIALLY OPEN !!! Regular hours are:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday – 3:20 – 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday – 2:45 – 5:30 p.m.
Saturday – 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
The last day will be May 22nd.
14. Next year’s FB team – no after school weights for the rest of the year.
15. Any Junior who will be in the ICE program next year and is interested in a job as a bank teller, please see Mrs. Alspaugh.
16. Seniors: If you want a different picture on the graduation slideshow, it needs to be turned in this week to the main office, or you can send it as a jpeg attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
17. Any track athlete not participating in Sectionals, please turn in your uniform to Coach Holt or Coach Lutes ASAP to be inventoried.
18. Any student interested in volunteering to run a bounce house or work concessions at the “Last Blast” on Monday after school for the MS, please see Mrs. Dickson or Mrs. Abner.
19. Please stop by Miss Chizum’s room to pick up your artwork. All artwork must be picked up before the end of the year. Remaining art projects may be discarded.
20. Most of the girls’ track team wrapped up a great season over the past two nights. Congratulations to all of our track ladies. Those moving on to Regionals next Tuesday night: Emily Gasho (Discus), Ashley O'Neal (Long jump), Hannah Sims (300 Low Hurdles *with a new school record), and the 4x100 Relay team of Hannah Sims, Reagan Christy, Emily and Ashley O'Neal.
21. Good luck to the boys’ track team and Coach Holt as they prepare for the boys’ sectionals TONIGHT at Terre Haute North.
22. Students wanting to purchase a 2018 yearbook need to place your order with Mrs. Fields by FRIDAY, May 18th.
23. No volleyball after school workouts or open gym this week. See Mrs. Neild in Room 101 for a copy of the summer schedule.
24. The girls’ track has qualified 5 girls for the IHSAA regionals. Congratulations to Hannah Sims, who is the new school record holders in the 300 hurdles !
25. Congratulations to the new Key Club officers for the 2018/2019 school year:
Secretary/Treasurer of the Indiana District: Bella Zarate
Lieutenant Governor of the Collegiate Division: Kenna Speier
President: Mason Allen
Vice President: Grace Elmore
Secretary: Alexi Sweet
Treasurer: Grace Timm
Bulletin Editor: LexAnne Fuchs
Class of 2019 Rep: Mary Timm
Class of 2020 Rep: Anna Grimes
Class of 2021 Rep: Macey Lambermont
Class of 2022 Rep: TBD
26. TOMORROW, Friday, 5/18, is the last day to order a 2017/2018 yearbook. If you would like your name on the yearbook, the order MUST be placed online by tomorrow. Go to Josten’s website if you would like to do order online.
SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES – CHECK IN GUIDANCE OFFICE
Ivy Tech Scholarships- Once students have been admitted to Ivy Tech, they can apply for scholarships via their MyIvy account or can get more info at ivytech.edu/scholarships. Only one application is completed for approximately 600 scholarships.
Best Mattress Sleep Scholarship -
- Applicants must be current high school seniors attending school in the US or current college students already studying at an accredited US post-secondary institution.
-Applicants must be US Citizens
-Applicants must be anticipating completion of high school diploma at time of application or already in possession of high school diploma / GED
-Applicants must be planning to or already currently pursuing a degree at an accredited US post-secondary institution
-Applicants must be carrying a minimum 3.0 GPA currently or at the end of their senior year
-Due May 19th
-Applications are in the guidance office.
Horatio Alger National Career and Technical Scholarship- scholarship up to $2,500 for seniors enrolled in a 2 year or less technical degree/certificate program in Fall 2018. Student must be Pell Grant eligible. Apply online at application.horatioalger.org
Due June 15th.
Mike Rowe Work Ethic Scholarship- for students getting training for skilled jobs that are in demand. Apply online at http://profoundlydisconnected.com/scholarship/ Due June 4th.